Matthew is taking a
class at school called "Know Yourself"
(one of those human growth and development things).
One assignments required the kids to care for a baby for 72 hours.
The 'baby' was actually a soda bottle filled 2/3 full of water.
We put a styrofoam head on it and
stuffed a little jumper with batting.
Matthew named him, Dean Jeffrey Kunz.
(I found out Matthew likes the nickname DJ.)
Matt told me his baby was by far the cutest one around
and all the girls wanted to keep him,
but being the excellent dad he was, he never let DJ out of his sight,
not even when he went to the park with his buddies.
It was funny watching my teenager walking down the street
with little Dean looking back over his shoulder.
Matt said the assignment was a piece of cake.
(Maybe I should have made a tiny little hole
in the bottom of that soda bottle
just to make the experience more lifelike).
Good job Matt!
You are going to be a great dad!!
5 comments:
A tiny hole! What a fabulous idea! Trust you to think of that! Matt looks like a different boy from the last time I saw him! Amazing Leslie! Sure miss you!
They do that in a human development class at my school--except the babies are electronic so they begin to cry and need to be fed and you wear a sensor so the "baby" knows whether it's with it's parent or not! I remember one time I was going to perform a color guard show and the team going before us must have had a girl who was in charge of one of these babies. A woman was holding it on the side and it was SCREAMING. Good on Matt, though. :) I love it.
Oh my - my sweet little Matt has grown up (sniff, sniff)! It was a shock to hear you refer to him as "your teenager". Time flies...
Putting a hole in the bottom of the bottle is an inspired idea! When Sister Hale was in high school, she took the class where she had to pack a baby doll around with her for a few days. This doll was computerized to simulate hunger, wet diapers, etc. and it would cry when it was "uncomfortable". Annie would have to take care of the "baby" by resetting it, somehow. The "baby" was programmed in such a way that the teacher of the class would know if you weren't attending to it, and your grade would be drastically reduced. I ended up "babysitting" this doll while Annie was at soccer practice (more than once) AND she woke me up in tears, one night, because the doll kept waking her up and asked if I would please sleep with the doll because she had a test she had to take the next day!!! I personally think that the pop bottle is a much better idea!
very cute. i was not nearly as diligent when I was in high school (I kept the baby in the locker)...luckily i turned out to be a better mom. ;)
It's great to see that you all are doing well!
-catania
Post a Comment